Friday, January 8, 2010

Starting the Year Right

It's great to be back.

A knee injury forced me to take a break from running for almost the entire month of December. I went back to the road on January 1 and have been running every other day since then. So far, I've decided to confine my running to doing loops around Bonifacio High Street. I waited until today to create this post because yesterday marked the first time since January 1 that my run was entirely pain-free. During my runs on January 1, 3, and 5, I experienced a mild, sharp pain on my bothersome right knee. Yesterday, however, was different. I ran at my usual pre-injury training pace, completely pain-free. Here's a summary of my four runs since my return from that hassle of an injury:

January 1 - 5.02 kms / 0:39:31 / Ave. Pace = 0:07:53/km
January 3 - 8.00 kms / 0:59:57 / Ave. Pace = 0:07:30/km
January 5 - 10.01 kms / 1:11:25 / Ave. Pace = 0:07:08/km
January 7 - 10.00 kms / 1:04:19 / Ave. Pace = 6:26/km

I've already registered for the Condura Skyway Marathon. My pre-injury goal was to finish my first-ever full mary in 5 hours or less. Now, I've tempered my goal to simply finishing the marathon within the 6-hour limit. I think it is a reasonable goal that I think I am capable of accomplishing.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. My time away from running has made me fall in love with the sport all over again, and has reminded me of all the reasons why I got into running in the first place. I'm hoping that the renewed inspiration will see me through the Condura Run, and the endless miles to be conquered in 2010.

Happy New Year, everyone. See you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment