Sunday, June 26, 2011

Perfect Ending

For the fourth straight week, I was able to meet (actually, exceed - by two kilometers) my target mileage. I'm not about to give myself a pat on the back, though. I aimed for 60 Kilometers this week, inclusive of my participation in the Kuala Lumpur Marathon. With the 42 Kilometers already in my pocket, getting at least another 18 was a cinch.  I could have gone for at least 80 to 85 this week, but I held back because I do not want to risk sustaining any fatigue-related injuries now, not with my next ultra just three weeks away.

A quick look at how the past week went:

Monday, 20 June: Rest day.

Tuesday, 21 June: 10-Kilometer run completed in 1:07. Complete stats are in my Garmin F305, which I left in Manila. 

Wednesday, 22 June: Rest day.

Thursday, 23 June: 10-Kilometer run completed in 1:09.  Complete stats are in my Garmin F305, which I left in Manila. Pounded the ULTRA track while Typhoon Falcon was pounding the metro.

Friday: 24 June: Rest day. 

Saturday 25 June: Rest day. Flew to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with my wife Bam. Claimed my race pack for the Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur Marathon.

Sunday, 26 June: Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur Marathon completed in 5:07:17 (Garmin time) at an average pace of 7:13 mins./km. An immensely enjoyable run. It felt good to stand behind the starting line once again. My shins, which had been giving me some problems of late, held up nicely. Separate post to follow.

I am thinking of cutting back a bit on my mileage this week to allow my body to recover fully. I will probably shoot for just 40 to 50 Kilometers this week, spread over five days of running, with no run exceeding 15 Kilometers. With the way the past four weeks have gone - 92, 60, 75, and 62 Kilometers - I think I can use a bit of down time.

I am posting this summary from the comforts of our hotel room in KL, with the Petronas Twin Towers gleaming right outside our window. It truly is a sight to behold. We'll be here for a couple of days more, to take in some much-needed. And then on Wednesday, it's back to the grind.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Julius! Good luck to your upcoming ultra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a way to taper, A marathon 3 weeks out till your ultra! lol. That's what im talking about. The only ultra I will be doing any time soon is ultra hydrating for the summer heat. lol. Congratulations on the finish of your what? 100th marathon this past 2 years? Take care man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats! just read your post. been busy going around california and nevada! hehehe!

    ReplyDelete