Sunday, January 2, 2011

Running with Murakami


I am a huge admirer of the works of the Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami.  I have read a couple of his works - the ground-breaking Kafka on the Shore and the critically-acclaimed The Wind-up Bird Chronicle - and I must say that I am hooked.  I have stocked up on a few other Murakami titles for me to read as soon as I'm done with my flavor of the season (2666 by the Chilean novelist Roberto Bolano) - Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the Word, Sputnik Sweetheart, and Norwegian Wood.  I make it a point to pick up one of his works each time I get lost in Fully Booked, for fear that they would run out and I would not be able to find copies when the time comes that I already feel like reading them. Talk about panic-buying. 

A few days ago, I picked up yet another Murakami opus - What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. Sports Illustrated describes the international bestseller as "a brilliant meditation on how his running and writing nurture and sustain each other... with spare, engaging prose... Murakami shares his runner's high." The book was written by Murakami in 2007 while he was training for the New York City Marathon. I have a gut feeling that this book will serve as my personal good luck charm - my rabbit's foot - as I await the results of the 2011 NYC Marathon lottery.

I'll sink my teeth into the book tonight.  It is only 180 pages long, so I should be able to finish it in PR time. I'm off to a fine start for 2011, so expect a synopsis to follow very soon.

9 comments:

  1. a-ha! i did not know that you applied for the 2011 NYC Marathon when i posted my comment in your previous post. i am sure you will be able to get "in". murakami is a good & competitive runner, just like any other japanese, and you'll be inspired with his book on running. beware, he is also an ultramarathoner, like you! good luck! see you on the 15th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Sir Jovie - Mag dilang-anghel po sana kayo! See you on the 15th for the test run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first started running and looking for a change for my 1,000 peso bill, I came across this memoir of Murakami. I have read his recent works life "Kafka of the Shore" and "After Dark" (The latter was my favorite.).

    Every time I don't feel like running, I'll immediately grab this book and read his training. After that, I'm okay na!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Ling - A fellow runner and Murakami fan! Thanks for dropping by. See you on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun reading, for that sounds like something you can talk about after you get done reading it. Hope all is well your way man. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ misszippy - You'll probably finish it in one sitting! Thanks for stopping by.

    @ Kenley - Thanks, bud. All's well down here. Heard the weather at NC over the holidays was terrible. Hope you and your family were safe and still enjoyed your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone gifted me Kafka of the Shore, read it and was weird-ed out by it. hahaha. Will pick up his running book today, though.

    Good luck on you NYCM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Marga. That's Murakami for you - you either dig him or you don't. His book on running is much much more "normal." No talking cats there. :)

    ReplyDelete